Now and Next Boards
Now and Next Boards are visual strategies used to help children and young adults with language difficulties, behavioural issues or SEND to complete specific tasks in the classroom or at home.
What’s different about an OurBoards Now and Next Board?
- Choice of three engaging designs – Standard, Space and Bear
- Use your own photographs to engage the individual
* we will print your images for you – see below
- Recall and talk about earlier activities part way through the routine
- High quality materials and engaging designs
How to personalise your board
This board can be used for many different applications so we have made it easy to personalise and easy to use.
- Download photographs or clip art from the internet or take your own photographs and upload them to your computer.
- Print the images. Tip: If you’re using a Windows PC then printing nine pictures to a page using the Wallet (9) template makes the pictures just about the correct size for the pockets.
- Cut out your pictures and place them in the Gecko pockets
- Remove the backing sheet from the pockets and place them in the correct order in the green column on the board
- Show the user the board and go through each picture with them and make sure that they understand what each picture represents
- As the user completes each task they move the picture from the green column to the red column to show that it’s been done
- Finally, reset the board by moving all the pockets back to the green column
Classroom Now and Next Boards
Classroom Now and Next Boards help the children to understand time, encourage them to read, reduce anxiety and help them to prepare for each new lesson.
How to use
Print off your own lesson titles or pictures and place them in the self cling “Gecko” pockets. At the start of each day place the first lesson in the Now column, the second lesson in the Next column and the remainder in the Later column. At the end of each lesson the self cling pockets are moved from left to right to show progression through the day.
We recommend that the children be encouraged to move the pockets as this will strengthen their engagement with the board and really encourage them to take notice of what they’re doing now and the transition to the next lesson.
As well as helping the children to understand their day, we believe that using a classroom visual tool will help them to understand that it’s OK to use visual tools to support their own thinking processes.
- Size A0 (approx 120cm x 84cm)
- Printed dry wipe board with laminated surface
- 4 column landscape design
- 12 x A6 (approx 15cm x 10cm) Self Cling “Gecko” Pockets
- 3M Command™ Mounting strips included
- OurBoards fine black dry marker pen
For more details about a Classroom Now and Next board please Contact Us.
Personal Now and Next Boards
How to use
This strategy can work to displays two pictures, one on either side of the board. The “first” is usually a picture of a non-preferred activity and the “then” is a picture of a preferred activity.
Break a complex task, such as the morning routine, into steps. Use a mixture of your own photographs, clip art, hand drawings and notes to create a series of simple steps. Place the photos and notes into “Gecko” self cling pockets (you can also just use paper /card and blu-tack if you prefer) and stick them to the left side of the board.
The person in your care can then do each simple step based on the picture. As each step is completed the person moves the step pocket (or card) from the left side to right to remind themselves that the step has been done.
OurBoards Now and Next boards can be enhanced with OurBoards Gecko pockets.
- The A4 board works with up to 4 x 95mm x 60mm pockets
- The A3 board works with up to 6 x 95mm x 60mm pockets.
- Dry Wipe
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- A4 board size = 21 cm x 30 cm
- A3 board size = 30xm x 42 cm